Saturday, May 12, 2012

Happy Mother's Day (from Jim)

Motherhood is an extremely strange thing to undertake. By committing to become a mother, you basically agree to giving up whatever life you had before and hand it over in exchange for the unending challenge of raising children. And that's after you've put your body through living hell just to bring them into the world. But, somehow, the payoff of actually having children is worth the 3+ months of sickness, 6+ months of sore backs and poor sleep due to uncomfortable positions, hours of painful and grueling childbirth (during which “tearing” is common) or having the child literally cut out of your body, and weeks of healing while being the ever constant nurturer of a being so helpless it can't even support its own head or control its limbs. Knowing all of this, it's surprising women decide to have kids at all. You can call it divine nature, instinct, biological programming, or whatever you want, but whatever it is I'm glad we have it. 
I'm especially grateful for the mothers in my life. Obviously I wouldn't be here at all if weren't for my mom giving birth to me, and then refraining from strangling me to death as entered adolescence. My mom was a great example of faithfulness, patience, and love. She not only showed me tremendous amounts of love as a child, she also helped me learn about the gospel and put me on a course for fulfilling, happy life. That's the best thing a mother can do for their child.

Here she is with our little homeboy

And then there's Shalene. She's the love of my life and the mother of my children. I've watched her handle the trials of pregnancy with strength I've never seen elsewhere. She does not slow down. We used to joke about what people would think when they would see her mowing our law  at 6 months pregnant. And once we had a chicken wing eating contest and she beat me. And I REALLY like to eat a large quantity of wings. But that's just how she does it.

Then I watched her go into labor with Max and I was even more impressed. She spent an half the day suffering through painful contractions until she finally relented and got an epidural. Then the nurse had her start pushing too early. So she was basically in the "pushing stage" of deliver for 4 hours. That's 4 hours of most of the muscles in her body flexing and squeezing to get that kid out. I was shocked she had any energy left at the end of it. 
But when it was all over, our beautiful little red bear was in her exhausted arms. 

After going through all of that and then the stress of a newborn baby, I can't imagine wanting to do it again. But she did, and now we have our sweet Molly. And through the pregnancy, and the childbirth, and the newborn phases, and now toddler time, she has been a tremendously loving and caring mommy. 

Shalene, you are amazing. I know it hasn't been easy, but you are a great mother. Our children are very lucky to have you. But I think I'm the luckiest of all to have you as a wife. Thank you for all that you do. I appreciate all the effort you make to keep our family going, especially when I fall short. We have two amazing kids who love you almost as much as I do. I don't think I can tell you enough how grateful I am to have you as my wife, but I hope you know how much we love you. HAPPY MOTHER'S DAY!!! 












3 comments:

Candice and Steve said...

That was such a sweet, nice, heartfelt post from Jim. I am so glad to have you as my son-in-law. You came into Shalene's life at just the right time. Now look what the two of you have created. Priceless!!

{Jesica Huffaker} said...

I agree with Jim and Candice!! Time for more babies!!!!

qifei2012 said...

Together with Microsoft Office 2010 you could make loaded along with graphic advertising initiatives making use of cozy Offices tools Microsoft office 2010 download. As an alternative to obtaining fresh strategies pertaining to video playback media, pics, along with roadmaps,Project 2010 download, you are able to relevance along with replace newspaper and tv pertaining to revenue pitch in addition to picture essential information in the strategies you know Office 2010 download. office 2010