Saturday, March 16, 2013

The end of Spring

Yep, it lasted a total of one week here in Arizona.  We had our heater on 2 weekends ago.  It was 50 degrees outside.  The next weekend we wanted our AC on.  It is now 90 degrees outside.  The sunburns, sweating, getting into hot cars is here.  I am not ready for Summer.  In no way am I happy about it.  It's here.  The sweatshirts and jackets are put away and so much for being so warm underneath my blanket at night.  Now it's unbearable warmness.  If you can't tell, I hate the summers here.  I'm getting mad just thinking about it.  Oh yes, I forgot to mention that it actually snowed here in Mesa, AZ that cold weekend.  SNOWED???  Yes, it did.

Besides the warm weather, things are good for us AZ Baraincas.  Jim started school.  He is taking a basic chemistry class he should have taken in highschool.  Yay for him.  He's going to LOVE all these prerequisites he needs to take.  All science classes.  Guess that is what you get when you get a degree in Marketing.  He's being a good sport about it.  All the hours of homework and labs he is doing and the time away from the family.  I keep telling him it's going to be worth it.  Given, it's about 5 maybe more years down the road, but hopefully it will be worth it.  Just seeing Jim do his homework and problem solve makes me realize how much I despise school.  I thought about going back this past semester but now that I see him, I don't ever want to go back.  I always thought I would go back and get my degree, but now I am doubting that.  Luckily, Jim is really smart so I know he is going to be just fine.


Max is 3 1/2.  I don't know what to say about this kid.  He has got  a temper but a super loving side to him.  We fight a lot.  If he doesn't get is way he is one mad puppy.  I don't really care so it makes him even more mad.  Jim and I think his vocabulary is less than what it should be at his age.  I am not worried since he hasn't started school yet, but it still bugs me.  His little friends come over and they all talk so much better than him.  They use complete sentences and tell stories of what happened the day before.  Max just makes things up.  Jim will ask him what he did today and he will say he played with his friend Jake.  Nope, he did not play with his friend Jake.  I'll ask him what he ate for lunch knowing he had a PB sandwhich.  He'll say, cheeseburger.  Things like this worry me.  Maybe I should be worried, maybe not.  He's my first so Im not so sure.  One thing I know I'm so glad about is that his train phase is wearing off.  Everything was trains....trains....trains....especially Thomas.  It's not so much anymore.  Now it's Spiderman, bikes, footballs, and FOOD (im not happy about).  I can't keep the kid full.  It wouldn't be such a bad thing if the food he liked to eat was good for him.  He wont eat anything that is good for him.  He won't eat veggies, occasional fruit and loves BREAD.  I wonder where he gets that from?  (I'm a carb FREAK)  He did start Sunbeams in January and it is the cutes thing ever.  He gave the scripture the 2nd week so I got to sit in and watch.  After he was done, I cried.  I cried because it was so cute and he was so big.  My little Max is growing up right before my eyes.  However, he does HATE sunbeams.  He tells me first thing on Sunday that he doens't want to go.  I don't blame him though.  I used to be a primary teacher and I dreaded going to sharing time.  It was just soooo boring.  I imagine being 3 and it would be 100 times worse.  So there are SUndays we struggle with him and others he willingly will go sit down. 

 

 
 One thing I really wish about Max....is that he would keep his underwear and pants around his feet when he went potty.  Why does he feel the need to kick them off everytime?  It's so annoying because then he walks out with underwear and shorts in hand.  Which usually means he will put them on backwards so he has a thong on.  And the other times he hides his underwear and just goes commando.  I think he prefers going commando.  Scares me for the future.....

Now onto Molly.  Molly is 2 1/2.  She might be the cutest thing in the world.  She has far surpassed Max in the talking department.  She uses a new word every day and JIm and I will look at eachother and wonder where she learned that word.  She makes us laugh all day long.  She is such a girl. She loves here stuffed animals, her princesses and ponies, and everything is "so cute".  Everyone is also her "best friend". She cries when Calli leaves because Calli and Jade are her best friends.  She loves to help feed Jade table foods.  Even when the bite is too big.  She is the sweetest sister (most of the time) to Max.  They all got animal balloons at Sams Club the other day.  Right when we got home, Maxs popped.  He freaked out and started crying.  Molly walked up to him and said, "it's okay Max, don't cry, you can have my flower balloon".  She got a flower balloon and was willing to give it up so her big brother would stop crying.  It touched me so much. Such a sweetie.  Molly would be my "eater".  She eats EVERYTHING.  She loves salad, broccoli and yogurt.  I know that no matter what I make she will eat it.  She has learned to keep her underwear and pants around her ankle.  So why can't Max???  GGGGRRRRRR  She loves to watch TV which is good and bad.  I'm a TV Mom.   I make my kids watch TV while I need to get stuff done.  Some people would frown upon that, but I don't care.  I haven't taught her the numbers and alphabet yet which I probably should have by now.  Max was a master at this age.  Given he has forgotten everything he learned and now forgets how to count to ten.  I need to be better at that.  She is the "queen" of nursery.  Her nursery leader is Don Stapley.  He is awesome and so good with the kids.  He loved Max and now loves Molly.  My kids love him too.  She loves to give hugs and kisses and still loves to be held and LOVES her blankies still.  She's quite attached.



As for me, I'm good.  It's been a year since I've quit my job to stay at home with my kids.  It was a really tough year.  REALLY TOUGH.  However, as much as the money was tight and my mental status was challenged by toddlers every day, my relationship with my husband became so much better.  I think in my eyes I always considered myself 100% independent and if things got rough that I didn't need a husband.  I could defend myself.  I put myself as the Mother and provider of the family.  I felt like I was giving to the family just as much, if not more than Jim.  This was a huge problem for our relationship.  Because I am stubborn and 25% crazy when times got tough my immediate thought was, " I don't have to deal with this".  I am just fine on my own and can do it all by myself,"  SOOOOOOO  when you have to depend on someone to provide for you and your family you find yourself supporting them and caring how their day at work was.  This sounds subserviant I know.  However, it's true.  Maybe it just works for us in our relationship but I think the counsel given by the prophets is right on spot.  I might depend on my husband to provide, but don't get me wrong, I still wear the pants in the family.  I say where the money goes and where it doesn't.  The difference is we communicate together and talk about it more since there is much less of it.  It has taken me a year to work out the kinks, but I'm happy now being at home with my kids.  CHANGING SUBJECT:  We are getting ready to go back to the Dominican REpublic in May.  We are "trying" to get a beach body but it's not as easy as we hoped.  We love our treats and love our food and love NOT working out.  So we have a little less than 2 months to kick it into gear. 

This was our Valentines Day.  We went to KIm and Eric ward fundraiser.  We got to dress up as a decade and dance.  It was fun.




For the past few months I have been making stuff.  Well, Jim helps me too.  We've made some ottomans, Calli and I made some pillows and sewed a few dresses for Molly.  We did a half remodel on our bathroom.  We love it!!  There is always a new project to be done.  I really dont think our house will ever be done.  I'm trying to make sure I write everything that I want to remember.  I know I'm missing a million things.  We are blessed right now.  We are happy and I'm not even lying about that.  If anyone is reading this you know me and I don't lie about how Im feeling or my life.  I write the good and bad cause I want to remember it all.  But for now we are good and we couldn't ask for anything more.  Well maybe a little more money....but who doesn't want more money right?

COUPONS!!!  My newest hobby.  I can't miss a good deal.  Some weeks are good and some are great.  It keeps me busy and I've managed to cut our food budget in half. 

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

International capital beaches magazine praised as "the natural sand, green belt separating from the busy streets and views of the Old Town". According to the editors of the "National Geographic" and is the perfect place for an active holiday, and on a lazy afternoon with friends.

In the list of six "best urban beaches under the sun" Warsaw was next to Sydney, Vancouver, Cape Town, Paris and Brighton. Residents will be able to enjoy the charms of the Vistula beaches in less than two months - the Warsaw river season traditionally begins on May 1. Check out [url="http://podlogadocyklinowaniastrefawarszawskastudiolakierowania.pl/zobacz/cykliniarze.htm"]cyklinowanie warszawa[/url].

Despite the wintry weather of Warsaw eager to use charm Vistula banks, including walking around the walking path in the forest floodplain after the Praga side of the river. Enjoyed great success in the cross-country ski trail, created in conjunction with Ski Cross Association.

Anonymous said...

International capital beaches magazine praised as "the natural sand, green belt separating from the busy streets and views of the Old Town". According to the editors of the "National Geographic" and is the perfect place for an active holiday, and on a lazy afternoon with friends.

In the list of six "best urban beaches under the sun" Warsaw was next to Sydney, Vancouver, Cape Town, Paris and Brighton. Residents will be able to enjoy the charms of the Vistula beaches in less than two months - the Warsaw river season traditionally begins on May 1. Check out [url="http://www.podlogadocyklinowaniastrefawarszawskastudiolakierowania.pl/usluga/cykliniarze.htm"]cyklinowanie warszawa[/url].

Despite the wintry weather of Warsaw eager to use charm Vistula banks, including walking around the walking path in the forest floodplain after the Praga side of the river. Enjoyed great success in the cross-country ski trail, created in conjunction with Ski Cross Association.

Brenden+Nikki said...

Ha ha oh Shalene. I love keeping up on how you and your fam are doing. First, I think you are way too hard on yourself. :). Second, Max and Molly sound just like Colljn and Elle. Collin just finished speech therapy in January whereas Elle talks in complete sentences too. And although he was in therapy, he still probably isn't as advanced as other boys, but at this point I don't even care. I'm just glad he and I can have a conversation :). Collin also takes off his undies and shorts completely to go potty unless he is somewhere other than home (which is good because I was just waiting for him to carry his underwear and pants out into the hallway at church while flashing everyone in the hall. Lol. Luckily that has not happened :). Anyway, just didn't want you to feel alone in that department :). Glad you guys are doing well!

Anonymous said...

Do you mind if I quote a few of your posts as long as I provide credit and sources back to your website?
My website is in the very same niche as yours and my users would
genuinely benefit from some of the information you provide here.

Please let me know if this okay with you. Thanks!


Feel free to surf to my homepage: xrl.us

Anonymous said...

So what can this all imply?

Also visit my blog :: the flex belt reviews

Anonymous said...

Excellent post however , I was wanting to know if you could write a litte more on this subject?
I'd be very thankful if you could elaborate a little bit further. Thanks!

Also visit my blog post ... Traveling 2013

Shelli said...

Shalene, it's been so long since I've visited, and I loved getting caught up on your little family. What cuties! I love that you write the good and the bad so you can remember it all. I can't believe how much I can't remember now that my kids are older. My brain is a big pile of mush, so I'm glad you are keeping it all. Isn't it funny how boys and girls are so different? That Max is all boy! Don't fret too much...at age 15 and 16 we were still trying to get the fellas to lift up the seat of the toilet and to flush. There are just some things boys simply don't care about, and it sounds like underwear for Max is one of them. haha. Too funny! Hang in there! I'm sure you are a great mom!!!